Latest Public Release (Ver 3.0) (Compatibility: Rpi Zero & Rpi1,2,3)
Current Donation Release (Ver.4.1) (Compatibility: Rpi2,3,4)

Under Development (Ver 5.0)

If you want to support the project and download donation releases , Feel free to donate any amount! (minimum 10€)

Donators Rank Level
ImageMovieNow Ver 5.0! - [Under Development]
ImageMovieNow Ver 4.1 - Donation Release Available!
Image All the orders for "Digital Poster Ready Packet" delay because the COVID-19! please be patience.
Image If you don't receive the activation Email, Please Check your Spam folder!

MovieNow & Amazon Alexa

Post all your suggestions/requests/ideas
0raid
Site Admin

MovieNow & Amazon Alexa

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:58 pm

I am thinking to develop and add ALEXA support for Movienow!

is anybody use alexa? if yes what generation??
metaMMA
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Re: MovieNow & Amazon Alexa

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:29 pm

This is only slightly related because it is a "Home Assistant", but I'm using the open-source privacy-centric assistant called "Mycroft" https://mycroft.ai/

Would love to see this integrated!
tomoffel
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:44 pm

We have some Alexas at home.

What would you implement into the Alexa support?

Something like
- change the folder to custom /default / scifi?
- turn movienow on
- next poster
gwcr
Donator Rank ****
Donator Rank ****

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 pm

I think this is a great idea! Would be very cool to walk into the room and say "Alexa, turn on the Movie Poster" or whatever. Any other functionality after that is a bonus for me. :D
kbatke
Donator Rank **
Donator Rank **

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:32 pm

I would love to see native integration with Alexa. I have it working now using SmartThings, Webcore and on my tablet with Sharptools.io. With Alexa, I can turn on/off TV (Smartplug), change posters (Plex, KODI, logo, custom). With SharpTool.io, use the same commands as Alexa, and can visually see which poster theme is active.
0raid
Site Admin

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:03 am

kbatke wrote:
I would love to see native integration with Alexa. I have it working now using SmartThings, Webcore and on my tablet with Sharptools.io. With Alexa, I can turn on/off TV (Smartplug), change posters (Plex, KODI, logo, custom). With SharpTool.io, use the same commands as Alexa, and can visually see which poster theme is active.
i need to find a little time to create native alexa skill for MovieNow!! :) soon!!
Emperor_R86

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 am

kbatke wrote:
Hi, would you mind explaining how you change posters? I use an Alexa plug for my monitor and Pi and when I power them on it starts with the MovieNow default and I would like it to jump directly to Custom Posters.
kbatke
Donator Rank **
Donator Rank **

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm

This is how I have my integration working between MovieNow and Alexa. Open to suggestions on an easier way. I am using a SmartThings hub with WebCore integration. Install the “Alexa Virtual Device Creator” SmartApp in SmartThings and create a virtual device for each poster mode (KODI, Plex, Logo, Custom). These new virtual devices are seen in both Alexa and SmartThings. Could name these Virtual Devices, KODI Poster, Plex Poster, Logo Poster, Custom Poster for example. In WebCore, create a routine, when each Virtual Device is turned on, issue an HTTP request to MovieNow. I use SmartThings WebCore, to issue the local HTTP request across my local home network from the SmartThings hub. Each poster mode has a unique HTTP request, for KODI, my request is: http://192.168.1.xxx/settings/display.php?VIEW1 (VIEW1 = KODI, VIEW2 = PLEX, VIEW3 = Logo, VIEW4 = Custom). IP address is your MovieNow Pi. Needed some extra programming in WebCore to turn off the virtual switches after turned on to maintain correct on/off state. Only option in the Alexa Virtual Device Creator was switch simulator, no button option. Now you can say, Alexa, “Turn on KODI Poster” ... where “KODI Poster” is the name of the Virtual Switch shared between Alexa and SmartThings.
Emperor_R86

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:06 pm

kbatke wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm
This is how I have my integration working between MovieNow and Alexa. Open to suggestions on an easier way. I am using a SmartThings hub with WebCore integration. Install the “Alexa Virtual Device Creator” SmartApp in SmartThings and create a virtual device for each poster mode (KODI, Plex, Logo, Custom). These new virtual devices are seen in both Alexa and SmartThings. Could name these Virtual Devices, KODI Poster, Plex Poster, Logo Poster, Custom Poster for example. In WebCore, create a routine, when each Virtual Device is turned on, issue an HTTP request to MovieNow. I use SmartThings WebCore, to issue the local HTTP request across my local home network from the SmartThings hub. Each poster mode has a unique HTTP request, for KODI, my request is: http://192.168.1.xxx/settings/display.php?VIEW1 (VIEW1 = KODI, VIEW2 = PLEX, VIEW3 = Logo, VIEW4 = Custom). IP address is your MovieNow Pi. Needed some extra programming in WebCore to turn off the virtual switches after turned on to maintain correct on/off state. Only option in the Alexa Virtual Device Creator was switch simulator, no button option. Now you can say, Alexa, “Turn on KODI Poster” ... where “KODI Poster” is the name of the Virtual Switch shared between Alexa and SmartThings.

Return to “Feature Requests”